Insurance EducationConsumer Action's Insurance Education Project is a site to help you make wise decisions when you buy insurance. The site, run by the national education and advocacy organization Consumer Action, features tools, educational publications, FAQs, news and other information to keep you covered.
- Get Consumer Action’s new e-newsletter, SCAM GRAM!
- 2015 survey offers California drivers insurance pricing insight
- MoneyWi$e Building and Keeping Good Credit Webinar
- Medical credit cards require careful scrutiny
- Consumer Action guide to insurance for entrepreneurs and micro businesses
View: Spotlight Archive
- October 08, 2015 Beyond fixing cars, what will Volkswagen do for customers?
- October 08, 2015 Financial regulators move to restrict forced arbitration
- October 07, 2015 CFPB sees value in protecting consumers’ right to collective redress Consumer Action applauds the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFBP) for considering a prohibition on “class action bans” in consumer contracts.
- October 02, 2015 The hidden inequality of car accident deaths
- September 25, 2015 Health insurance deductibles outpacing wage increases
CA News & Special Reports
Consumer Action INSIDER - April 2015 This month's INSIDER brings you stories on the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau plan to allow complainants to share their "stories" with the public, how people without Social Security numbers can still request free annual credit reports, a new class action open for claims, and a new educational package on automobile insurance released by Consumer Action. Hotline Chronicles looks at a case of a disgruntled mortgage holder who paid on time but is still being hounded for his payments. ( Tuesday, March 31, 2015 )
Five Recent Publications
Auto Insurance: The Basics (Spanish). Tener seguro de auto adecuado es la responsabilidad de todo conductor. Esta guía le ayudará a determinar cuánta cobertura necesita, el tipo que necesita y cómo conseguirla al mejor precio.
Auto Insurance: The Basics (Vietnamese). Trách nhiệm của người lái xe là phải có bảo hiểm đàng hoàng. Bản hướng dẫn này sẽ giúp quý vị biết giá tiền --và loại --bảo hiểm nào quý vị cần, và cách được bảo vệ với giá tốt nhất. It’s every driver’s responsibility to have adequate auto insurance. This guide will help you determine how much—and what kinds of—coverage you need, and how to get protection at the best price.
Auto Insurance: The Basics (Korean). 모든 운전자들에게는 충분한 자동차 보험에 가입해야할 책임이 있습니다. 이 안내서는 어떤 종류의 보험을 어느정도 가입해야하는지 그리고 가장 저렴한 비용으로 보험에 가입하는 요령 등에 대해 설명하고 있습니다. It’s every driver’s responsibility to have adequate auto insurance. This guide will help you determine how much—and what kinds of—coverage you need, and how to get protection at the best price.
Auto Insurance - PowerPoint Slides. This downloadable 16-slide PowerPoint presentation is designed to be used in conjunction with the auto insurance lesson plan. The slides provide a visual component to the training that will help to engage learners and improve retention.
Tuesday, February 24, 2015
I.I.I. Toolkit. This three-tool suite of apps from the Insurance Information Institute helps you prepare your family for a disaster, guides you through choosing the right types and amounts of insurance coverage and enables you to keep an up-to-date electronic record of your belongings.
Thursday, April 16, 2009
Patient’s Guide to HIPAA. This guide explains how you can use the federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) to protect your medical privacy.
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Filing a health information privacy complaint. You have the right to file a complaint with the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) for violations of your medical privacy.
Thursday, October 09, 2008
Health insurance 'Premiums vs Paychecks'. Throughout the first eight years of the new millennium, health care costs have skyrocketed, while working families’ wages have stood still.
Friday, September 05, 2008
The Crime You Pay For. A brochure outlining how insurance fraud scams hurt everyone.
Support Consumer Action
Join Our Email List
- Help Desk
- Submit Your Complaints
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Links to Consumer Resources
- Consumer Service Guide (CSG)